University of Virginia: Frank Batten School of Leadership and Public Policy
ARG led the adaptive reuse of this historic refectory building designed by McKim, Mead & White in 1908. Garrett Hall houses faculty offices, conference and meeting spaces, and student and administrative areas for the Frank Batten School of Leadership and Public Policy. The historic refectory space, now known as the Great Room, was rehabilitated as lecture and lounge space. The original two-story lobby space, removed in 1959, was reconstructed based on historic drawings. The project is targeting a LEED Gold rating and features a green roof installed on a non-historic underground annex. The green roof creates attractive gathering space, improves stormwater management, and reduces heat island effect of the previous concrete surface. Sustainable new finishes include bamboo casework and wall paneling, cork flooring, and recycled glass countertops.