Stanford University: Main Quadrangle
- Northern California
Stanford University’s original buildings, designed in the Richardsonian-Mission style by East Coast architects Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge, are arranged around two main quadrangles and connected by arched arcades. Original construction began in 1887. Now the core of Stanford’s historic campus, these buildings are constructed of unreinforced masonry with a tooled facing and decorative elements of local sandstone. ARG conducted a restoration study to survey sandstone deterioration, develop a range of exterior repair and conservation strategies, review the potential impacts of structural bracing systems on the stone facades, and develop guidelines for the restoration of other historic elements throughout both quadrangles. The work included detailed petrographic and chemical analysis of the stone and subsequently informed the recommendations for restoration techniques and treatments.