Stanford University: Archeology Center
- Northern California
Stanford University's Archaeology Center is comprised of elements of three separate structures, including the University’s Boiler house, constructed in 1890. ARG designed the seismic upgrade and rehabilitation of the Center, including the mezzanine additions to the two-story buildings to accommodate needed program spaces. The completed Center houses teaching, workroom, and laboratory spaces, as well as office, administration, support, and storage functions. The challenge was fitting the Center’s program into a disjointed collection of spaces. The design solution transformed the seemingly secondary one-story building link into the Center’s primary entry. ARG created a central public reception space for conferences and events with a circulation core connecting the two-story research spaces on either side with open mezzanines celebrating the historic clerestory skylights above.