Grand Canyon National Park: Ranger Operations Building
The historic Park Headquarters Building (now known as the Ranger Operations Building) at Grand Canyon National Park is an outstanding example of the rustic style architecture developed during National Park Service (NPS) expansion and growth in the 1920s. Designed under the direction of NPS landscape architect Thomas Chalmers Vint, the building was constructed in 1929 to serve as Grand Canyon’s second Park Headquarters, superseding a 1921 structure located nearby. ARG prepared a detailed Historic Structure Report (HSR) for the building, and in a later phase, provided design and construction services for the rehabilitation. The rehabilitation project included reprogramming the interior for improved functions for rangers; upgrades for egress and disabled access; structural, mechanical, and electrical systems; and a complete exterior rehabilitation.