Presidio of San Francisco: Fire Station Addition
- Northern California
The Presidio Fire Station was constructed in 1917 following a tragic fire that took the lives of the family of Brigadier General John J. “Black Jack” Pershing. Originally staffed by a civilian fire crew, the Presidio Fire Department was the first military fire department in the United States and was one of the first stations equipped with automotive fire engines. Though the two-story fire station had been modified previously, the main part of the building is intact. ARG’s scope of work included a seismic retrofit, installation of a state-of-the-art technology and communications system, and the design of a new wing intended to be recognized as a contemporary addition complementing the original building. ARG also renovated the dormitory and office spaces and restored the core structure to its historic appearance.