Portland Union Station
Designed in 1892 by the architectural firm of Van Brunt & Howe, Portland’s major passenger rail station was planned by Northern Pacific Railroad magnate Henry Villard. Now known as Portland Union Station, the building is listed on the National Register and retains its original use as a key element of the City’s main transportation hub. Portland Union Station also retains its original signature element, the 50 foot Romanesque clock tower. ARG served as architect on a transportation enhancement project to rehabilitate key elements of the historic station, primarily restructuring the roof, carrying out masonry repair on the clock tower, and rebuilding historic doors. ARG was also retained to survey the project areas, prepare construction documents, and monitor progress during construction.