Napa Valley Vintners, Jackse Barn
- Northern California
The Jackse Winery, constructed by Austrian immigrant Stephen Jackse between 1905 and 1913, is one of the few remaining wood-frame winery buildings in St. Helena. ARG rehabilitated the distinctive double gable structure for use as the offices of the Napa Valley Vintners. The rehabilitation involved the sensitive design of additions, the creation of a weatherized envelope, as well as introduction of adequate natural light throughout the interior. The design expresses the differentiation between the aged, rustic winery and the new materials of the addition. This concept carries through the interior where original siding contrasts with contemporary finishes.
The Napa Valley Vintners project achieved a LEED Silver rating. The project has been awarded a Preservation Design Award by the California Preservation Foundation and an Award of Merit by Napa County Landmarks.