Mission San Juan Capistrano: Serra Chapel
- Southern California
Built in 1782, six years after the founding of Mission San Juan Capistrano, the Serra Chapel is named for Father Junipero Serra. As one of the first non-indigenous buildings constructed in California, the chapel is constructed of adobe and fired brick. ARG was retained for a wide range of services. ARG developed repair recommendations for specific interior and exterior conditions balancing the current use as a working church with its historic status. ARG evaluated deterioration in structural components, outlined specific conservation recommendations, provided a prioritized cost estimate, and undertook a building code analysis, including access upgrades and building system improvements. ARG also produced a comprehensive Historic Structure Report (HSR) with guidelines for future preservation. ARG Conservation Services subsequently carried out conservation construction.