Mission La PurisimaNational Historic Landmark Nomination Update
- Southern California
Located three miles east of Lompoc, Misión La Purísima Concepción De María Santísima is a reconstruction of a Spanish mission established in 1813. Once a flourishing community, La Purísima fell into decline after mission secularizations in 1834. By 1935, when the Civilian Conservation Corps was tasked with reconstruction, there was little more than a few ruined adobe walls. The site is significant as the largest mission reconstruction in the U.S. based on careful documentation and strict adherence to authenticity. ARG prepared an extensive update to augment a brief 1970 National Historic Landmark nomination. The update provides historic contexts, statement and period of significance, resource descriptions, and contributors list. The fully developed, clear and consistent nomination will provide the necessary information for effective future planning efforts and interpretation programs.