Hotel Del Coronado
- Southern California
Designed by architects James and Merritt Reid, San Diego’s Hotel Del Coronado opened in 1886 as one of the country’s grandest seaside resorts. As a National Historic Landmark, The Hotel Del is the last remaining 19th century wooden resort in operation in California. Working in association with Hornberger + Worstell Architects, ARG implemented an extensive renovation, addition, and upgrade plan to address deficient circulation, room upgrades, system improvements, and restoration of historic building fabric. ARG worked with a structural engineer to design a noninvasive strengthening system; returned historic spaces to original uses; renovated the Grand Ballroom; and, conducted materials conservation. ARG developed a phased Master Site Implementation Plan, sensitive to the site’s historic significance, allowing for a full restoration while the building remained in use by guests.