Contemporary Jewish Museum
- Northern California
Designed in 1909 by prolific architect Willis Polk for Pacific Gas & Electric, the historic Jessie Street Substation was originally a utilitarian structure. Now located at the center of the City’s Yerba Buena cultural arts district, the substation has been adaptively reused and inaugurated as the Jewish Museum of San Francisco. ARG served as Associated Architect to Studio Daniel Libeskind Architects for the rehabilitation of the existing 15,000 square foot building and 20,000 square foot addition. Prior to rehabilitation, ARG completed a Historic Structure Report (HSR) documenting the building’s history and significance. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is a City of San Francisco Landmark.