loading...

California Institute of Technology
Linde + Robinson Laboratory

  • Southern California

The first laboratory in a historic building to receive LEED Platinum certification, Caltech's Linde + Robinson Laboratory has the lowest energy use of any physical science laboratory in the nation. A number of groundbreaking sustainable measures took advantage of the historic design including: exploiting the concrete building’s thermal mass; maintaining the original sun telescope (coelostat) to track the sun and send light deep into the building; and using the lower portion of the telescope pit to hold water to service a radiant heating and cooling system.

Originally designed in 1932 by engineer and astronomer Russell Porter to hold the largest telescope at the time, this state of the art facility now serves as a multidisciplinary center researching environmental changes and developing new strategies to cope with these changes.