A.K. Smiley Library
- Southern California
Originally constructed in 1898, the A.K. Smiley Library in the City of Redlands is named in honor of Albert K. Smiley, whose donations made the public library possible. The building was designed by T.R. Griffith in a Moorish style. As the library's needs changed over time, the reading rooms that also served as the main circulation routes became problematic.
ARG developed and implemented a master plan including an addition to the historic building. Two new wings provide a seamless expansion of the older building. The design and materials of the additions are complementary but visually distinctive from the original building. The project also included the addition of two courtyard gardens and a light-filled conservatory connecting the historic and new wings. A phased construction schedule allowed the library to remain open to the public during the entire expansion process.